Thursday, October 14, 2010

Preparing for Michigan Steel


Going to make the long drive out to Michigan for steelhead in November for a week.  Flew out last year for a couple of days and had a great trip so I'm heading back again this year except this time by car.  I hope to hit the Salmon or Catt in NY on the way depending on the conditions.  Would be a shame to pass those places without making a few casts if they are looking good.  Will fish the Muskegon again and spend some time on the PM too which I've never fished.

I cleaned up the bench and put away the random saltwater and bass/pike fly tying stuff that was scattered about.  I do still owe a few people some saltwater flies that I'll have to get to soon.  I did an inventory of my steelhead materials and made a list of stuff I can't live without.  Will have to make a trip to the shop to stock up.  I'm sure I have enough flies to get me through much more than a week of fishing but I can never have too many flies.  Going to give a few more traditional spey patterns a swing this year.  Last year the hot flies were variations of the aquatic nuisance.  Got to have more of them ready to go.

I need to swap over some lines and go through all the connections and make sure I have the right sink tips while trying to resist the urge to buy a new rod/reel, line, etc.  Seems like a lot to do in 2 weeks but will be just part of the fun of going on a trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment