Saturday, April 17, 2010

A few more

Heading down to the flyshop today for a spey casting class with Topher Browne.  We got a couple inches of snow last night, now it's raining on top of that and hovering around the freezing point. Not my preferred weather for standing around casting all day with no fish to catch.  Sounds exactly like steelhead fishing.

Had some friends over for our Thursday night flytying and tied up a few more similar to the ones in the last post except with stripers on my mind.  The first one I was going for something mackerel-ish and the second in a pollock color scheme.  I epoxied the eyes on the front but I'm not sure I'm crazy about it.



One of the guys wanted me to show him how to tie a grocery pollock fly which is one of the most deadly big striper flies on the Maine coast.  Jim Bernstein came up with this style and color combination for a grocery fly and it has really proven to be a winner.  Actually the fish in the header photo was caught on one of these and a good deal of the other big stripers I've caught locally.  You can see the fly in the upper left corner of the photo.  It's tough to tell scale from the pic but the fly is about 6" or so tied on a 4/0 Mustad 7766.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm lol it may take me all day to tye six ..lol .. but i wont leave home w/o them!

    ReplyDelete