Thursday, April 15, 2010

Pike Hang Times

After seeing some of Brad Bohen's Hang Time flies and I have to admit, a few pics of the monster muskies he's caught on them, I was inspired to tie up what I think are a little more pike sized ones.  They incorporate materials and are put together using techniques that I'm familiar with for tying striper flies.  I'm a big fan of using natural materials like bucktail, feathers, and marabou which are the main components of these flies.  I love the natural variation in color and texture and the feel of stuff designed by nature.  These flies remind me a lot of a combination of both flatwings and hollow flies with the flowing saddles and the appearance of bulk without actually being heavily tied.  In the vise they look quite scraggly but should smooth out to a nice fish profile and really move and breathe in the water.  Looking at the pics now they kind of have a slight resemblance to steelhead flies also.  I'm quite happy with how they turned out.

I tied a few up in black/red, a favorite color combo of mine especially in the spring, one that suggests a perch, and the last as a standard chartreuse and white attractor.




A red/white variation that I caught my first pike on in Maine last weekend and also a pretty solid largemouth.  It was definitely worth tying a few more up.


I figured I'd throw up a few pics of some striper flies tied hollow style that I pulled out of a fly wallet.  I know all of these have caught fish already.  They aren't as impressive as I hoped since they have already been wet and flattened out by storage.

7 comments:

  1. hey jeff great blog and always interested in whats going on across the pond ......look forward to seeing more posts ...added you my blog roll as well thanks for that

    mcfluffchucker
    (a cave in scotland)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I've got a lot of inspiration for tying lately by following your blog and a few others over your way. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ken those flies are a lot nicer when they haven't been chewed on by fish, covered in fish slime and stuck in a ziplock bag. They are basically hollow flies with a little extra to spice them up. I won't promise anything but I'll see what I can do about a step by step. Send me an email and I'll send you a few when I get around to tying some new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live about 15 minutes from the coast just inland from Saco/Scarborough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. road trip ken ill add a week on to my visit .....nice looking flies jeff

    ReplyDelete
  6. When is the trip? I'm trying to figure out the pike fishing but in a little over a month stripers will be the best game in town.

    ReplyDelete
  7. im over there at the end of may buddy

    ReplyDelete