Sunday, March 6, 2011

Musky flies

I've been tying up a few musky flies lately in anticipation of this season.  At this point I have no idea how they will fish but they sure look cool and like they will swim.  These flies are articulated and tied up using a Gamakatsu S12S 4/0 in the front and SS15 2/0 in the back connected with 30# nylon coated wire.  I was going for a perch look in the first couple of flies which was effective for pike last year and a fat headed sucker look in the last fly.  These flies are way too much fun to tie and think about what might someday attack them.  It's a nice break from tying the same old striper flies all the time.







6 comments:

  1. I need to put you into touch a with a good friend of mine they cast 14-24" fly for muskys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At this point I'm looking to have flies that I can cast relatively easily for long periods of time and not necessarily targeting the largest fish. In other words I expect to do a lot of fishing and not catching and I'll be happy to catch anything at all. I'd love to see some of those fly designs though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff, Good luck with the mighty musky! I flyfished throughout the this past summer, keep in mind while i love fishing big flies for big fish I just moved back to Pennsylvania and began chasing them so I was kind of feeling my way through the dark figuring them out but I had 3 legitimate fish on and man I would have made a million casts for just one of them. It is addictive as hell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mike maybe I can trade in one of my other addictions for musky fishing. I checked out a blog linked from your profile http://flyfishingformuskie.blogspot.com/ There are some sick flies there which gave me some great ideas. A few of those flies look like some big bunker patterns I used to tie a lot of for stripers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never tied anything that big! Thanks for the inspiration. You got a new follower

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jeff, Sorry for getting back to ya so late, your message didn't show up on my e-mail or blog.. I'm glad you found some more inspiration from flyfishingformuskie, that's a friend I just met at this years New Jersey flytying show, his name is Pat Kelly and he is one hell of a tyer! I met him and his friend Mike schmidt who also ties some sick patterns his web site is anglerschoiceflies.com definately check it out I think you'll get more ideas for bugs there as well. One more killer site is baltic pike flies.com, this guy has some of the most innovative streamers I've seen in awhile. Keep me posted on the new ties.

    ReplyDelete